From our 2017 Academy scholar Michelle Marcial: “I was a part of the first cohort of the Prancing Ponies Leadership Abroad Academy. Traveling abroad to begin with is already a big transition and this program will not be easy. However, you will learn a lot about your weaknesses, strengths, fears, discipline, goals, and ultimately perseverance. If I can emphasize anything it would be that this program is not a vacation, nor should you think it is one. You will work harder than you have ever worked before, you will be pushed beyond your limits and it is up to you if you embrace it or refuse to grow. The academy itself has a great mission, creating women leaders one girl at a time, but to make that into a reality it is not just how the academy decides to help make those women leaders but it is also on the girls to already have traits of a leader. If you are mature, hardworking, respectful and open minded to becoming the best who you could be then this might be the program for you.”
WHAT IS PRANCING PONIES LEADERSHIP ACCELERATION ACADEMY?
The Prancing Ponies Leadership Academy accepts up to 10 girls each summer for 6 weeks to learn life and leadership skills. The Academy accepts applications from girls who are in their 3rd year STEM or other selected majors in the US.
The Academy focuses on five fundamental areas of leadership instruction:
- Presentation skills: Creating & giving presentations. Self-brand management. Social media presence.
- Financial: Managing a budget and a P&L statement. Salary negotiation.
- Conflict Management: Using your intuition as a decision-making tool and managing inter-office dynamics.
- Mentoring: Individualizing their learning experience and providing guidance to optimal information integration.
The scholar’s first year activity is an intensive Academy and Internship at Prancing Ponies Foundation during the summer. After graduation, the scholar then has to fulfill requirements to mentor a Prancing Ponies scholar that is a year younger than her and attend events throughout the year. We support the scholar with post graduation company placement and working with the company to ensure the scholar receives management/leadership training as quickly as possible after hire. Mentoring continues indefinitely.
Housing, a small stipend for meals and transportation along with all materials are supplied to the scholar during the Academy.
We are committed to ‘Creating Women Leaders One Girl at a Time.”
THE APPLICATION PROCESS
Applications for the 2019 Prancing Ponies Foundation Leadership Acceleration Academy is now available.
Below are requirements to apply to this year’s Academy.
- Be prepared to commit 2 years to the Prancing Ponies Academy
- Available for the Academy dates of June 24, 2019 – August 1, 2019
- 3rd year STEM or other selected majors at a US University
Requirements to remain in good standing:
- Mentor a girl for 1 year
- Serve as ambassador for Prancing Ponies Academy
- Attend and speak at all Prancing Ponies events
- Provide monthly blog for Prancing Ponies website during your 2 year commitment
- Company Placement: Be flexible and ready to interview during your senior year as opportunities arise quickly and often.
The application process will consist of the following phases:
Phase I The application:
a. Written biography and resume (why you are a good fit for the program and what is your plan for optimizing your experience abroad)
b. Two recommendation letters (one from a current teacher and/or program manager and one from your parent/guardian)
c. Academic transcript
d. Financial certification
Phase II Verification/Validation:
Once your application has been reviewed and considered for progression through the process we will verify and validate all information provided including financial status. You may receive additional questions about the information provided during this phase.
Phase III In-Person interview:
All applicants are required to complete an in-person interview for consideration to the Leadership Acceleration Academy. Applicants will be contacted to meet the Prancing Ponies Interview team for an in-person interview via email.
Phase IV Acceptance/Decline:
All applicants will be informed of their acceptance/decline via email on or before April 2019.
If you’d like to receive updates please email our Leadership Acceleration Academy team.